Sunday 20 October 2013

Barophobia- the fear of gravity

It’s a funny thing, last night I cried because as I wanted to remember what it was like to be held by the one person I’m supposed to love, all I could remember was kissing you, your fingers laced through mine. It felt like a huge injustice, like I was being cheated of the happy memories I was supposed to have.

I got lost in the night, in the drinks, in the lights and smoke. I let it wash over me, dull all my senses. All I did was run from you because I couldn’t deal with the thought of a life devoid of you. I knew we ended for many reasons, but the lights were too bright and the music was too loud and I couldn’t think of a single one.

And then, this morning I woke up and I felt…okay. Maybe I won’t drink so much because there isn’t so much pain to numb, maybe I won’t run from remembering because it doesn’t hurt so much to remember. Maybe you have to let yourself hurt before you let yourself heal.

I guess I’m okay without you, I can live. I don’t need you to complete me anymore. I’m not a 5th grade art project, I am not a 1000 piece puzzle missing a piece, I am not yours, I belong to no one but myself.


Or perhaps there is an empty space between hurting and being okay, and I've merely stumbled blindly into it. But for the first time in a long time, my whole body doesn’t ache with I think of you. Maybe I've fallen into the gap, but I think I’ll stay a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment