Monday 22 July 2013

Asthenophobia - the fear of weakness

My dad was never around much. He spent most of his time building a successful business, but I looked up to him so much that I hung off every word he said. It never occurred to me that words from someone that is meant to guide and love you might be bad advice. It wasn't until later years that I realized that I never did get much from him in the form of guidance or love.

One thing he would repeat continuously in the form of a life lesson: never play unless you know you can win.
So, in my younger years I would never play a game, or do a task unless I knew I could win, which wasn’t very often. I wish I had the wisdom to realize that there are so many more reasons to play life’s game.


What about playing for that look of admiration in the eyes of someone that loves you? What about playing for someone that looks to you to set them an example? What about playing to show yourself you can? What about playing to test how far you dare to push yourself? And what about playing just for the pure, undaunted love of the game? 

No comments:

Post a Comment